University’s new study guide for academic year 2020-2021 is published at https://opas.peppi.oulu.fi.
The study guide includes information on degrees, curriculums, courses and course timetables. Course registrations are still done in Oodi.
If you have questions on information in the study guide, please contact the study field's Academic Affairs Service Team https://www.oulu.fi/forstudents/faculty-study-affairs.
Early Childhood Education is one of the specializations in the Degree Programme in Teaching and Education. The students in this programme graduate as pedagogical experts in the growth, development and learning of small children for multidisciplinary tasks in education, teaching, research and development. The aim of the programme is for the student to develop a strong educationally sound pedagogical competence, on the basis of which s/he is capable of critical and creative thinking and ethically sustainable action.
The degree of Bachelor of Arts in the Early Childhood Education programme comprises language and communication studies, orientation studies, basic and intermediate studies in education (especially early childhood education), professional studies in early childhood education, minor subject studies and optional studies.
The Bachelor's degree involves tight cooperation with day care centres. The students carry out pedagogical practice periods in day care centres. Experts from working life are also used in the courses
Having completed the Bachelor’s degree, the student
* is familiar with the scientific foundations of early childhood education and is able to analyse and apply research knowledge related to the growth, development and learning of under school-age children in different environments
* knows how to interpret the social connections of education and identifies his/her social responsibility
* is able to function in tasks requiring pedagogical expertise in early childhood education, in different work communities and to develop his/her professional competence
* knows how to act ethically and collaboratively in a changing and increasingly international world
* is qualified for posts of early childhood educator and tasks in pre-primary education