University’s new study guide for academic year 2020-2021 is published at https://opas.peppi.oulu.fi.
The study guide includes information on degrees, curriculums, courses and course timetables. Course registrations are still done in Oodi.
If you have questions on information in the study guide, please contact the study field's Academic Affairs Service Team https://www.oulu.fi/forstudents/faculty-study-affairs.
The primary goal of the studies in music education is to achieve a strong and diverse expertise required in the profession of a music teacher in primary and secondary education. The studies develop the student’s ability to work in the field of music education on a broad basis.
As a music education student, you develop your skills in the various areas of music and education, become acquainted with a wide range of issues related to educatorship, advance your own personal practical, cognitive, professional and pedagogical skills, and develop yourself as a researcher. The principles in the music education studies include the reciprocity of education and research, a close relationship with a working life in music teaching, learner-centredness, and the experiential, bodily and social nature and cultural diversity of music and learning. Also important are working life skills, an active and critical relationship with media phenomena, a meaningful relationship with current music education technology, equality in education and a constructive relationship with society.
The core of the studies for a Bachelor's degree is comprised of the basic and intermediate studies in music education, developing the student as a teacher in various ways. The student is also developed as a researcher in the intermediate studies in music education and in the pedagogical studies for subject teachers. Language, communication and orientation studies support the studies in music education.
Learning outcomes for the Bachelor’s degree
· is familiar with the key concepts and theories of music education and educational sciences
· knows how to analyse knowledge related to growth, development, teaching and learning and how to apply it in different working environments
· knows how to consider the needs related to pupils’ growth and learning and how to take them into account in his or her own actions
· knows how to interpret the social and international connections of education and identifies his or her social responsibility as a professional in education
· knows how to evaluate and analyse interaction between people from the viewpoints of equality, human rights and caring
· knows how to function ethically as part of an educational community.