As a music education student, you develop your competence in the various areas of music and education, get to know different kinds of questions related to musicianship and educatorship, deepen your own personal skills, knowledge and professional knowhow, and develop yourself as a researcher. The principles of studies in music education include the reciprocity of education and research, a close relationship to a working life in music education, learner-centredness, as well as the experiential, bodily, social and culturally multiform nature of music and learning. Other things considered important include worklife skills, an active and critical relationship to media phenomena, a meaningful relationship to current music education technology, as well as educational equality and a constructive relationship to society.
The core of the studies for the Bachelor's degree is formed by the basic and intermediate studies in music education which develop musicianship and teachership in a variety of ways. Through the intermediate studies in music education and pedagogical studies for subject teachers, the student also develops as a researcher. The language, communication and orientation studies support the studies in music education. The studies can also include minor subject studies, in which case the extent of the basic and intermediate studies and free-choice studies is smaller.
The primary goal of the studies in music education is a strong and varied expertise needed in the work of music teachers in primary and secondary schools. The studies develop an ability to work in the field of music education on a broad basis.
Applied to the field of music education, the learning outcomes for the broadly-based Bachelor's degree in education are also descriptive of the goals for the studies in the Bachelor's stage in music education.
Having completed the Bachelor's degree, the student
- knows the essential theories in his/her discipline of science.
- knows how to analyze knowledge related to growth, development, teaching and learning, and how to apply it in various environments.
- knows how to examine needs connected with pupils' growth and learning and how to take them into account in his/her own action.
- knows how to interpret the social and international links of education and identify his/her social responsibility as a professional in education.
- knows how to evaluate and analyze interaction between people from the viewpoints of equality, human rights and caring.
For the degree structure, courses and course descriptions, click on the Courses tab.
For the degree structure of this programme with a timing table, see www.oulu.fi/ktk/opinto-opas