|Required proficiency level
English must have been A1 or A2 language at school or equivalent English skills acquired otherwise. If you received the grade "L" or "E" in the Finnish matriculation exam, you can be exempted from some of the course.
3 ECTS. The workload is 80 hrs.
|Language of instruction
1 st year: autumn term (1,5 ECTS - reading for academic purposes), spring term (1,5 ECTS - scientific communication)
• develop students' English language skills needed for effective communication on different topics related to education and teaching
• to practice comprehending and producing oral presentations and written texts using formal or semi-formal English
Learning outcomes - by the end of the course students are expected to be able:
• to summarize, interpret and discuss formal or semi-formal texts on topics related to the field of education
• to write assignments on topics related to education and teaching
• to search for information on a chosen educational theme as well as analyse and explain the ideas
• to better understand the concept of diversity in education
• to better communicate with parents / colleagues of foreign background
• texts and short videos related to education and teaching
• formal and semi-formal writing practice
• oral presentation practice
• communicative activities
|Mode of delivery
Contact teaching and independent study
|Learning activities and teaching methods
28 hrs of contact teaching + 8 hours of online studies + 44 hrs of independent study. Classroom sessions, online studies, individual assignments, group activities, an oral presentation in pairs or small groups, and homework tasks.
Open university students
|Prerequisites and co-requisites
|Recommended or required reading
Course materials will be provided by the teacher in electronic form.
|Assessment methods and criteria
Regular participation in all contact teaching and completion of all required coursework (a policy of 100% participation in lessons, with compensatory work in case of occasional absence).
Exemption from the Written Communication part of the course is given to students with a matriculation exam grade L or E. Attendance is compulsory for ALL students in the first lesson, where more information will be provided to those who are entitled to exemption.
Read more about assessment criteria at the University of Oulu webpage.
pass / fail
|Working life cooperation
Torikatu 22 A (2. krs)
PL 2437, 90014 Oulun yliopisto
044 465 2205 ja 044 465 2206, toimisto ja ilmoittautuminen