|Language of instruction
Lecturing in Finnish, course and exercise material available in English.
Autumn, periods 1-2.
1. Student understands the basic computer architecture and organization.
2. Student understands CPU operation and datapath in general.
3. Student knows different number systems and data representations in computers.
4. Student is familiar of I/O operation with peripheral devices in general.
5. Student is able to implement small programs with the C programming language for general-purpose computers for embedded systems.
6. Student recognizes how embedded systems programming is different from programming general-purpose computers.
Yleinen tietokoneen organisaatio ja arkkitehtuuri, keskusyksikkö, muistihierarkia ja muistinhallinta, tietotyypit, laiterekisterit ja I/O, yleinen tietokoneen ohjelmointi ja laiteläheisen ohjelmointi, C-kielen perusteet.
|Mode of delivery
Web-based and face-to-face teaching.
|Learning activities and teaching methods
Lectures (40h), course exercises (20h), laboratory exercise (3h) and course projects in groups.
2nd year students of computer science and engineering and 3rd year students of electrical engineering.
|Prerequisites and co-requisites
Elementary programming 521141P.
|Recommended optional programme components
The course is an independent entity and does not require additional studies carried out at the same time.
|Recommended or required reading
Course material will be announced at the beginning of the course.
|Assessment methods and criteria
Students complete the course exercises after lectures, participate to the laboratory exercise and complete the course projects in groups. Assessment is based on the exercises and the course projects. More detailed information on assessment will be announced at the beginning of the course.
Read more about assessment criteria at the University of Oulu webpage.
The course unit utilizes a numerical grading scale 1-5. In the numerical scale zero stands for a fail.
Teemu Leppänen, Mika Rautiainen.
|Working life cooperation